Saybrook Veterinary Hospital was established in 1947. It is the original veterinary hospital in the shoreline/Connecticut river area and one of the longest operating veterinary hospitals in the state of Connecticut.
Dr. Howard Larsen was the original owner of Saybrook Veterinary Hospital and built the existing structure that is still utilized today, The building was originally both the veterinary hospital and a two bedroom residence with the hospital in one half and the residence in the other half. On the grounds of the veterinary hospital is a pet cemetery that dates to the 40's and 50's. The head stones are still standing and names and dates of the pets are still legible.
In approximately 1968, Dr. Eric Archer (1933-1996) purchased Saybrook Veterinary Hospital. He expanded the hospital to occupy the entire building. He along with his wife and children lived in the house that is directly behind the veterinary hospital.
Drs. Dianne Adams and Andre Thouin took over the ownership of Saybrook Veterinary Hospital in 1988. They have built Saybrook Veterinary Hospital into the outstanding veterinary hospital that it is today. They semi-retired in July of 2013 (although still work on a limited basis) and sold the practice to Dr. Suzanne Magruder and her husband Scott Magruder. The Magruders hope to continue on the tradition of the highest quality medical care along with compassion and a family friendly atmosphere that has been established at Saybrook Veterinary Hospital.